The Nature Conservancy: Maintaining Fire's Natural Role (Website).
The Nature Conservancy works to maintain fire’s role where it benefits people and nature, and keep fire out of places where it is destructive.
Working with partners, they:
- Use and promote Integrated Fire Management as a way to serve the fire-related needs of people and nature.
- Develop software, maps and data through the TNC-LANDFIRE project, which supports conservation action planning by partners in the US Department of Interior via the national LANDFIRE Program.
- Conduct scientific assessments to understand the causes and consequences of altered fire behavior.
- Develop site-based solutions to maintain and restore habitats that require fire to exist.
- Advance laws and policies that conserve fire’s role in nature.
- Participate in the Fire Adapted Communities Coalition, which is working to help local communities in the U.S. assess their risk and take action to safely coexist with fire.